I’ve done over two dozen funs runs in the past 3 years, including 2 marathons, and I’ve heard many different chants and calls from the side of the roads from avid supporters and the casual bystander. Some of what they say are awesome and I’m grateful that they’re there to support us runners, slugging it out, challenging ourselves in this maniacal way.
But there are just some calls that I just hate! I hear them at almost every fun run I’ve ran in and they make me cringe. (The Nova 96.9FM supporters are the worse perpetrators!) I thought I’d share my top 5 pet peeve calls from fun-run crowds.
1. “High fives make you run faster.” Firstly, it hasn’t been scientifically proven. Secondly, it will take seconds off my run if I have to swerve toward you, give you a high five, and then continue on my journey. And trust me, I still won’t be running any faster. Thirdly, do you really want me to give you a high five when my palm is all sweaty? Sorry, please don’t be cut if I don’t give you a high five.
2. “Running makes you hot!” OK, i get it. It’s a pun. You think I look hot AND I’m hot in temperature (Sort of. There’s something called homeostasis. Look it up!) But, really?! If you really thought that YOU would be running! Don’t try to make me feel better – I know I’m not looking good so don’t tease me!
3. “Come on, push harder!” I’m not giving birth! Tell me to push harder after you’ve ran 30km with another 12km to go. Pushing hard is no longer the priority – just finishing is.
4. “You can go faster than that!” After you’ve ran 30km with another 12km to go, you tell me if you can go any faster. Your attempt at encouragement is not working!
5. “Keep going, you’re almost there!” I especially hate when people say this when there’s about 10 more kilometres to go. Seriously, I’m not almost there!
So next time you go to support a fun run, please be just that: supportive.